The day before we left St Augustine, I was checking and topping off the oil. I’m not sure why I did this, but I set the oil fill cap on top of the engine. Shortly thereafter, I bumped into it and knocked it off the engine!
Fortunately it landed on a wiring harness, but in the process of fishing it off of there, it slipped down into the bilge. If you remember from this post, the bilge is approximately 3 feet deep and sits directly below the engine.
Knowing this part could not be retrieved with a magnet this time (it’s plastic), I decided I would just buy another one (and a couple of spares!) Apparently I have the unicorn of oil fill caps, because it’s practically impossible to find, and if found is about $60 (!!!) We came up with a makeshift solution that worked for a week or so, but I knew we’d have to do something soon.
In the end I was able to retrieve it with a simple fishing net, but not without some more awkward positions!