After almost 3 days of driving, and some unexpected (but OK) delays along the way, we finally made it to our new boat on Sunday. We were all pretty excited / delirious when we finally arrived.
Currently named Gromit, we haven’t come up with a new name yet. There were a few in the running, but everyone thinks Gromit is pretty cute, should we change it???
Before we even got to the boat, someone on the dock told us an alarm was going off inside, uh, ok, great, what happened? Why didn’t the marina call and tell us this? We all hop on the boat, which is harder than we thought with 3 little kids and I begin searching for the problem while Brittany and the kids explore the boat. The culprit – bilge was full, but why? I didn’t really have time to look into it right then, the secondary bilge pump seemed to be keeping it in check, but eventually found the float switch was not working. Actually it was, but it got stuck. I could go into the details (which I would love to), but it would probably bore you! (Here is what I did to fix it)
Next problem, the aft head output leaks, we found this one out after the girls used it and it leaked the “output” all over the floor in the bathroom. Problem #2. (No picture!!!)
BUT… all of that being said, we are still super excited to be here! Those two issues are relatively minor, we’ve had so many great moments in between all of that. From sitting on the back watching the still water, to watching the girls play in the forward cabin. It’s been a lot of work, but totally worth it.
- Assembly dinghy, motor, and find a way to mount on the davits.
- More provisioning
- Attach lifeline netting
- Pick up dad from the airport
- Fix aft head (we have two heads, so this is somewhat optional)
- …. (I’m sure there’s more which I’ve forgotten)
But we made it! We set sail for the first time as a family tomorrow or Thursday, depending on the weather.